Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 S Focus

My four areas of focus in the Spiritual area for 2009 will be morning/evening prayers, scripture reading, readings on Orthodox Christianity, and service.

There will be 4 sessions, each lasting 12 weeks.  Each 12 week session will consist of a 2 week "habit starter" for each area.  This first two week session will be spent in developing a habit of morning and evening prayers.  Lest you think I'm a complete heathen, I have been praying but I have not been doing a good job of praying consistently.

To make this become a habit, two things have to happen.  I need to begin waking up earlier and I need to go to bed earlier.  HA!  Okay, I got my little sarcasm out there but seriously... really, I do. I am in an awful habit of going to bed very late... say 2am+! and then I rise accordingly... not good! This week's bedtime is midnight and next week's bedtime will be 11pm.  Having a regular bedtime will also give me a regular time for prayer.  By going to bed earlier, I will also be able to wake up earlier (before the children) and have my prayer time while it is still quiet.

This week I will also work on getting out of bed and then saying my prayers instead of praying and taking the chance of falling back asleep (which happens with great frequency unfortunately).  Next week will find me actually setting my alarm clock to ensure a consistent morning prayer time.

Recommendation:  Consider what it is you need to change/improve within the spiritual area. Discover the task and review what is needed to make this task a habit.  Gently bring these things into your daily life.  I read this post today and thought it was VERY appropriate and inspiring.  It is also important to keep track of your progress and any set backs that occur.  So in the spirit of that, I'll "keep you posted"... LOL!

Simply,
ThereO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really really really like that idea and what you have done here on your simple plan . It is awesome . I don't know how you keep up with all of that but it is a good idea . Thank you for showing it to me hopefully it will help me too :)