Sunday, December 28, 2008

S is for Spirituality

It would be nice if God simply gave us a checklist of what He wants us to do.  Because my list has not arrived in the form of a handwritten note, I must look to scripture and the early church fathers to guide me in what I can do to improve my relationship with God.
Obviously, this list is geared towards my life as an Orthodox Christian.  My prayer is that anyone reading this that is not an Orthodox Christian will gear the list to his/her relationship with Christ.  So, the list...

Morning prayers, Meal prayers, Evening prayers, Family prayer time, Reciting the Jesus Prayer
Daily scripture reading, Individual scripture reading, Scripture memorization, Bible study, Take a class hosted by a church/online school/seminary
Sunday liturgy, Special liturgies, Vespers
Observing fast days, Celebrating feast days, Daily saint readings
Readings on Orthodox Christianity, Readings on Christianity, Listening to Orthodox Christian radio, Listening to Christian radio
Service, Tithing, Donating to missions, Mission preparation 
Meditation, Journaling

I've tried to be thorough but I'm certain I've missed some things.  Please add anything I've missed in the comments.  As part of the S.I.M.P.L.E. plan, I will be praying over this list to see which four things God would like for me to work on this next year.  Please join me in prayer and if you feel called to do so, please list the areas God is calling you to work on this year.

Simply,
ThereO

No comments: